Search This Blog

Monday 2 May 2011

The only way is Essex (and Bedfordshire)


Hi All,
Here is my latest on my personal training rides. We haven't done much as a group because of all the holidays but it hasn't stopped me from getting on my bike.

To celebrate the Royal wedding (well actually, to take advantage of the long holiday), my fiance and I along with 3 other couples went to stay at a caravan park on the coast in Essex. We had a great time but that is a whole other story. I took my bike on the back of the car and went for a nice 30 mile ride. The landscape is flat but the wind made up for the lack of hills. It was a great ride, the weather was glorious and the roads nice and quiet. Some of the villages I went through were really picturesque.

When we got back home, I thought I should have a long ride so took the train up to Bedford and rode the 55 miles home. The first part of the ride was great, good weather again and nice roads, once again quiet because of the bank holiday. The landscape this time was more rolling with a few tough hills, and some great views. The wind was really really strong and it certainly made the going a lot tougher. Also there was a stretch of the road which was so badly surfaced it shook my bike literally to pieces, a screw holding the rear mudgaurd came off so I rattled the rest of the way home.

The last few miles, from Watford to home (Camden) were not so pleasant as it was mostly along busy main roads. I did the ride in under 5 hours so I know I am fit enough to do the kind of distances required. The problem I'm yet to overcome is that I am very sore at the end of it, particularly my neck and back, and am happy to not have to get on the bike tomorrow. Something to work on before the big ride. Any tips?

1 comment:

  1. How do Jonny...

    Do you do proper stretching exercises before and after you have a ride? Andrea showed me some great exercises which are wicked for avoiding bad back and neck ache - they work a treat. I'll fill you in at the band meet...

    ReplyDelete